View Single Post
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 22:12   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Any help about information to what is need to change a gearbox of a MY83' 340 1.4 M45 (4 gears) to a M47 (5 gears) ?

It's a thing that improves car performance? or not efectiveness at all?

Thnaks
A very straightforward bolt in job , where did you get your M47R transaxle from , ideally you want it to have the same rear axle ratio as yours then 5th becomes a true extra gear . with the wrong rear axle ratio you might find 5th is the same as your original 4th in which case acceleration might be improved in the lower gears at the expense of fuel consumption .. so ,firstly what is your current final drive ratio ? volvo used quite a few different ratios over the years ..

I did mine 25 years ago on my 1980 343 and 2 years ago on my 1988 1.4 which has a 3.64:1 final drive ratio which is the same as a 1.7 engined 340 which has a 5 speed as standard .. It works well , cruising is very relaxed , you might have to change to 4th for a long incline , i'm getting 45 mpg out of my 343, but i have done other things as well to optimise the fuel consumption but the 5th gear certainly helps . any more you need to know just ask.