View Single Post
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 00:12   #25
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Considering the fact that I was six years old at that time, and that my bicycle didn't have assymetrical headlight, I got away with it pretty smoothly.

However, for some reason I remember that I joined my father to to the workshop, to get the Volvo PV 544 Special II he had shifted from left assymetric to right. It turned out that the PV 544, which was a 1959 year model (delivered late 1958) didn't have assymetric headlights at all. You could rotate a setup ring inside the headlight, to set if for left, right or neutral. It was set to neutral, but then got a shift to the right side.

That car also received an upgrade when external rear view mirrors were fitted to the front wings. The car had only an internal mirror to begin with, but some year external such mirrors become mandatory, and that applied to cars already in traffic as well.

At that time he (my father) also owned a Scania LS 76 S, which I presume got the same kind of modification to its lights. But I have no memory of that, so it was probably done when I wasn't present.
I was only joking, but glad I did now as that's an interesting story. Did some Swedish cars from the late 50's onwards start fitting 'adjustable' headlamps in anticipation for the drive side switch-over ?