Thread: Engine 850: B5234TR/2.3/20v/T5R: - 85OR won't start - help/suggestions/reccomendations
View Single Post
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 14:42   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skattrd View Post
Hi all,
I have a 1996 850R that won't start, it cranks and cranks, but doesn't start.
I've taken it to my local old school garage and tried several things, but we're stumped.
The LED codes flashed out suggesting TPS, which was the first thing we changed. We then changed the cam sensor, crank sensor and coil. None of this made any difference.
It appears that there is no spark.
We've checked various circuits and everything seems to be getting power.
The garage OBD diagnostic also brings up a TPS error, so i changed that again, this time for a genuine Bosch, still no joy.

I've searched the forums and checked various things including wiring near the rad and starter, all seem fine.

The car is near Lincoln, does anyone have any suggestions or maybe somewhere not a million miles away i could get the car taken to that could investigate the issue.

Thx
Have you checked the ignition coil power stage ?

I had a fault like this back in the 1990's tried everything , no spark , Flywheel sensor signal looked fine on the oscilloscope when cranking .
After a long while it turned out to be the main battery cable which runs down past the throttle was causing interference, Just re routed the main battery cable a couple of inches and it started .