View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 07:50   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate87 View Post
Thanks Dave

I would assume mine must be 46 then. Forgive me for sounding stupid but how does the offset of the wheels help me determine what length both parts are? Does it associate with the part numbers?

Cheers
Kind of. The relative position of the tyres in the body is unaltered. By switching to the FWD (46ET) wheels, that would automatically put the tyres further in on the body so the hubs are moved outwards and to reach them, a longer rack (overall including the length of the track rods) is needed.

If you take a wheel off, you should find the markings on the inside face giving the offset (ET), however it may be behind the centre cap as well, like on this wheel of mine :

If you zoom in, you'll see it says (at about the 8 o'clock position) in the centre cap area, 6J x 15 x 25 - width x diameter x offset. This diagram explains offset which should give you more of a clue :

Once you realise the difference between the two wheel designs, they are fairly easily identifiable at a glance almost, as long as you know which you have available.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: