Thread: V50 Electrics : - Hazards randomly come on..
View Single Post
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 13:15   #1
JohnnyDMonic

Default Hazards randomly come on..

The hazards on my 2010 V50 keep randomly coming on.

It seems like the most common answer is that the switch is faulty so I took mine out, completely stripped it down, blew the dust out the switch with compressed air, then squirted some fader lube in it and worked it in and out a load of times.

Whilst it was all apart, I checked everything with the multimeter and I can see the switch operating perfectly. The resistance of the little bulb inside reads 22 Ohms, which seems a little low assuming it operates at 12v (would mean it draws over half an Amp), but I digress..

So I think to myself everything seems fine with the switch, I'll plug it back in and see what happens. As soon as the plug made contact with the connector in the car the hazards immediately started flashing. Pressing the button had no effect. Unplug switch, nothing happens. Plug switch back in and the hazards immediately stop flashing. Pressing the button still has no effect.

It seems that the very act of plugging the switch in, makes the car think the button has been pressed. Which would imply to me that the switch connections have somehow become permanently connected together, but this is not the case as I have verified with the multimeter.

The next thing I thought was maybe the bulb was somehow having an adverse effect on the whole system so I removed it (in just unscrews really easily), but this didn't change the behaviour at all, it was exactly the same.

Has anyone ever seen this before, or could anyone offer an explaination of what's going on? I'm baffled.

Cheers,

John.
JohnnyDMonic is offline   Reply With Quote