View Single Post
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:20   #6
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Are you saying that the DPF is cleared every time I give the car a good long blast!
I think the old MPG would suffer quite dramatically (which it isn't).

Surely, there must be some upper parameters within the Engine Management System which trigger an auto regeneration and I assume that if these are not met, then even a blast down the motorway would not necessarily achieve regeneration.
If I remember rightly it tries to do a regeneration every 500ish miles (it says in the manual). but it'll only do it when the engine is warm, and will screw up if you turn the engine off while its doing one. It should really have a way to manually induce it or at least till you it's doing one.

This is what it says in the manual:
Diesel particle filter (certain models)
Certain diesel cars are equipped with a particle filter which results in additionally effective emission control. When the engine reaches its normal operating temperature (the engine is warm) a so-called "regeneration" of the filter takes place automatically, which means that the particles collected in the filter are burned away and the filter is emptied. Regeneration takes between 10 and
15 minutes. During this time fuel consumption may increase slightly.

Winter driving
If the car is frequently driven short distances in cold weather then the engine does not reach normal operating temperature. This means that regeneration of the diesel particle filter does not take place and the filter is not emptied. When the filter has become approx. 80% full of particles then a yellow warning triangle in the dashboard display is shown along with the warning text
SOOT FILTER FULL SEE MANUAL. Regeneration should be carried out regularly if the car is frequently driven short distances in cold weather in order to avoid impaired function of the filter.
• Start regeneration of the filter by driving the car until the engine reaches normal operating temperature, preferably on a main road or motorway. The car should then be driven for approximately 20 minutes more.

• To clear the warning text when regeneration is complete, switch off the ignition, remove the key, wait for at least three minutes and switch the ignition on again.

• Use the parking heater (option) in cold weather so that the engine reaches normal operating temperature more quickly.

Last edited by Robbijay; Aug 25th, 2009 at 10:25. Reason: Added handbook info
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote