View Single Post
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:49   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
i thought all that was needed to clear a dpf is a good motorway blast every now and again.????

surely if you do this once a fortnight, problrm solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Are you saying that the DPF is cleared every time I give the car a good long blast!
I think the old MPG would suffer quite dramatically (which it isn't).

Surely, there must be some upper parameters within the Engine Management System which trigger an auto regeneration and I assume that if these are not met, then even a blast down the motorway would not necessarily achieve regeneration.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html

Going for a 15-20 min blast on the motorway, with hard acceleration on the slip roads every now and again is surely a lot better than a £1000 repair bill. Besides its another excuse to go out for a drive in the car.
Lets say with diesel at £1 a litre, 4.5 litres in a gallon and an average mpg of 45, how far would £1000 get you?

£1000 = 1000 litres
1000 litres = 222.2 gallons
222.2 gallons * 45 mpg = 9999 miles
9999miles / 50miles = 200 50mile trips
1 50mile trip a fortnight = 26 50mile trips a year
200 trips / 26 50mile trips a year = enough trips for 7.7 years

dont know about you, but i think id be going for a blast once every other weekend.

I do agree with you though that an indicator to show when a regeneration is needed, or when active regeneration is taking place so that you do not switch of the engine mid cycle, would be of a benefit to most drivers

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote