Thread: V50 Engine 2.0D : - Starting Problem
View Single Post
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 17:13   #113
sfstu

Have had a problem starting (just turning over, not starting) for 1st time yesterday morning, at 3.30am! Then it's happened a couple of times since.
Popped into the local indi garage on way home yesterday and mentioned it, he said glow plugs. Not convinced, I did some reading on here and found this thread.

Today when home from work, inspired by this thread, I grabbed my spanners for the first time in 2 years or so and with a deep breath, removed the throttle housing assembly!
Pretty easy so far...
The throttle assembly looked fairly clean inside and the valve didn't really stick, it's obviously been replaced at some point this year (I've only had the car 2 months). So after a light burst of carb cleaner looked new again.Although obviously a newish part, I decided to follow Clan's advice and chamfer the edges of the valve with a fine needle-file and a smooth over with some fine Dick Emery cloth.

Re-assembly was a reversal of removal , and then I got the wife to fire the car up while I watched the fuel lines. It fired up first time, (which could always be because the problem is intermittent) so all good there. Will have to see how it goes over the next few days...

I did however notice some air bubbles travel along the clear fuel line as the engine started and these disappeared along the line within a few seconds then seemed to run clear.
Is this normal or does it need bleeding?

Thanks for reading,
Rgds Stu