View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 16:10   #15
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtor View Post
I re-used the old gasket since it came off in one piece and I applied dish washer soap on both sides before re-mounting. The soap will harden into a hard but still flexible goo much better than any gasket paste I've tried. Here, (Norway) milk is sold in containers made from thin cardboard coated with wax. I use this material in combination with dish washer soap as gaskets where the pressure and temps are moderate. I've even re-used copper cylinder head gaskets (inboard marine engines) with dishwasher soap with great success.
Entirely agree. I've made gaskets out of cereal box cardboard, never heard of the soap thing though, I like that idea. There aren't many gaskets in these engines (brilliant design on the thermostat housing, for example), but in my previous engines I'd not even consider buying gaskets except for the cylinder head. If it comes as a kit, then I'll use the genuine ones if they're there. If not, cereal box. So far they've always worked perfectly.

EDIT: Thinking about this, I've been given the title of "honourary redneck" by my american freind, haha, due to my determined effort to never buy anything if I can avoid it, and fabricate stuff myself wherever possible. £3.30 isn't very much to spend - but that just goes to show how technically trivial it is. It's carboard!!

Last edited by canis; Jul 4th, 2019 at 16:13.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: