Thread: HID conversions
View Single Post
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 16:40   #17
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alalalpupula View Post
This, had a look on youtube etc and LED seems to be a step up on HID in terms of light output and longevity, ...
all thumbs up for proper testing, but I remain sceptical ref "light output" - single xenon burner can easily output over 3k lumens in 360degree form, LED chips probably could go higher but only as a cluster of LEDs, I wonder if any of "retrofit" applications can actually output better lumens than HIDs.
I may test the LEDs one day just for sake of experiment and I really wonder how GOOD LEd bulb (like those expensive Phillips from link) will work on the same clear lens projector as I use, better/worse or what...

[NERD MODE ON]
Only problem is - you will never get the same gains from retro-LEDs as you would with LED-designed headlamp. In our case, you can only provide much more bright light source into a halogen/xenon designed reflector and lens and hope it will work out. In some cases it does, in some it doesnt (seen a lot of failed LED applications as it is NOT only reflector+lens that create proper light output - actual light source matter aswell). But you never achieve results as seen on new cars. Jus for example, a comparison of pics I took last week (yes, I am the weirdo photographing light patterns, sue me...). I have a pretty good HID retro with bixenon projectors and powerful Xenarc burners, but light output is still hapmered by old technology (lens+reflector) and beam spread is laughable comparing to proper led headlamp.
pic 1- Audi A6 in front of Renault on the picture - see the amount of side-light provided by shaped LED beam on the right wall. My beam on the same wall is non-existent due to narrow beam pattern of retrofitted projectors.

pic2 - BMW 7 series, beam shape is pretty similar to mine as for amount of left-throw, but the difference light intensity of xenon+reflector&lens, versus direct-throw LED is, again - insane. Arrow points where my beam is overtaken by BMW's LED throw. Amazing.

bottom line is - LEDs are future and are already much better/efficient than xenons, but we are VERY limited as for retrofitting options and I am not sure if there are any gains over HIDs if used in our lamps, given price/problems/heat dissipation/uniformity issues. Happy to be proven wrong, but so far, for me, HIDS>LEDS on our headlamp design.
[NERD MODE OFF] :}
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (132.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (119.6 KB, 66 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: