Thread: HID conversions
View Single Post
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 21:27   #19
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
all thumbs up for proper testing, but I remain sceptical ref "light output" - single xenon burner can easily output over 3k lumens in 360degree form, LED chips probably could go higher but only as a cluster of LEDs, I wonder if any of "retrofit" applications can actually output better lumens than HIDs.
I may test the LEDs one day just for sake of experiment and I really wonder how GOOD LEd bulb (like those expensive Phillips from link) will work on the same clear lens projector as I use, better/worse or what...

[NERD MODE ON]
Only problem is - you will never get the same gains from retro-LEDs as you would with LED-designed headlamp. In our case, you can only provide much more bright light source into a halogen/xenon designed reflector and lens and hope it will work out. In some cases it does, in some it doesnt (seen a lot of failed LED applications as it is NOT only reflector+lens that create proper light output - actual light source matter aswell). But you never achieve results as seen on new cars. Jus for example, a comparison of pics I took last week (yes, I am the weirdo photographing light patterns, sue me...). I have a pretty good HID retro with bixenon projectors and powerful Xenarc burners, but light output is still hapmered by old technology (lens+reflector) and beam spread is laughable comparing to proper led headlamp.
pic 1- Audi A6 in front of Renault on the picture - see the amount of side-light provided by shaped LED beam on the right wall. My beam on the same wall is non-existent due to narrow beam pattern of retrofitted projectors.

pic2 - BMW 7 series, beam shape is pretty similar to mine as for amount of left-throw, but the difference light intensity of xenon+reflector&lens, versus direct-throw LED is, again - insane. Arrow points where my beam is overtaken by BMW's LED throw. Amazing.

bottom line is - LEDs are future and are already much better/efficient than xenons, but we are VERY limited as for retrofitting options and I am not sure if there are any gains over HIDs if used in our lamps, given price/problems/heat dissipation/uniformity issues. Happy to be proven wrong, but so far, for me, HIDS>LEDS on our headlamp design.
[NERD MODE OFF] :}
Sounds like you just volunteered to do the experiement Lizard!

My problem with LED lighting is their colour.... blue is BAD for your eyes.. the eyes adjust slower and it is harder to focus.

The reason these cars all have blue LEDS is because that is the cheapest, brightest output available to produce. If you want soft warm yellow, it requires a coating over the original blue.
I want warm white LED headlamps (4300k) but they simply arent available. Though I hold high hopes as we can buy LED bayontte cap bulbs for indoors that are putting out better light than filament bulb equivalent.

There is definitely a reason why all of our smart phones and smart TVs are now coming with anti-blue "sleeping" modes that change the colour of the screen to yellow...they know that blue tint is bad for our health and they have to offer something to alieviate that... I'm surprised Volvo havent been all over that aspect, given their reputation in Safety.

Then, having said that, look at the crappy headlights they gave us in the P1 cars.

Last edited by T5R92011; Dec 9th, 2019 at 21:30.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote