View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2019, 15:01   #22
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Or we should be working on the basis of your assertion that the wreck of a BMW 7 (or most other wrecks on this yt channel..) are repairable?

I happen to know a thing or two how are these wrecks sold in States and at what prices. There's a reason why they aren't repaired and put back on the road in US - there's Mexican body repairmen as skilled and as cheap as your Lithuanian hammersmith- yet they choose to ship these "repairables" overseas.. wander why?..

But no point arguing.. It's a free world.. you choose to believe what you want..
I make no comment on the 7 Series linked to earlier by you - the thread started with a relatively modestly damaged S60. Would I repair the 7 series? No. Is it repairable? Yes, evidently - it's been repaired. What wouldn't I repair? Anything with severe fire damage. Mind you, that's not stopped an American guy rebuilding the shell of a burned out Dodge Hellcat on YouTube.

It is indeed a free world - free for people to buy damaged cars and export them to different parts of the world where labour costs and overheads are cheaper than in the US and Western Europe. The economics drive the destination of the cars.

US folks also buy damaged cars at auction and show their repairs on their own YouTube channels. I have also had a look at Copart and the equivalent salvage auction sites. The decisions about insurance/write off categories and what can and cannot be done with a damaged car are not international standards.

What I'm curious about is your making assertions as though they were fact and then not backing them up with evidence. If we're trading opinions, then that's fine. I'm not sure I agree with all your opinions, and I suspect the same is true on your part in respect of mine.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote