View Single Post
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 07:45   #23
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'll try to get some interior shots and underbonnet shots tomorrow Andy, i've been at the BL/BMC National Rally and Spares Day (Car show and autojumble in simple terms ) today and not long back - got quite a few photos to upload from that at the moment.

I'll certainly report on the LED progress, i was planning on using the car tonight for walkies with the hound and was going to leave the standard H4 bulbs in to get a benchmark, then fit a set of H4 LEDs i bought for my Jeep to see what the difference is. I know the headlight alignment is slightly out as one is higher than the other - i'll sort that first then try the LED bulbs after at least one night on the standard bulbs.

I had the same thing the other day with the "wrong age" - a friend came to visit who i've not seen for a while and i pointed the 760 out to him and he thought it was somewhere between K and N reg and was visibly shocked when he saw the "F" plate!

Same thought had occurred to me on the sunroof, last thing i want to do is fit a replacement motor and then burn it out freeing the roof mechanism off! As you rightly point out, once it moves freely, fitting a new(er) motor should solve the problem.
Then it's the ECC system to sort out - first impressions suggest a vacuum hose off somewhere as the airflow direction control isn't working. Also the green A/C light is permanently flashing so if it doesn't sense vacuum when it should perhaps that's why. Once that's sorted i can work out if it's actually cooling the incoming air, it looks like an R12 system which is a surprise on a 1988 car.
Look forward to seeing those.

Yeah that pretty much sums up how people see them isn't it, shame but I guess sometimes it's nice to see the shocked look when they do realise.

Probably is a vac issue, a lot of the lines are quite easy to get to once you've removed the glovebox from what I could see while I was renewing the glovebox light bulb on mine, also a quick tip which won't resolve the operation but worth it to get the system working efficiently. I found the temperature sensor which is in the courtesy light behind the sunroof can get quite clogged. It's always having air drawn across it and during winter I noticed that the ECC would start by making the interior quite toasty but the temperature would quickly tail off. I dropped the courtesy light down and found that the sensor was covered in fluff and dirt so not much air was getting to it. I cleaned it out and it's a marked improvement and seems to be working well, it's also quiet now as you used to be able to hear the sound of the air being drawn across it like a mini vac leak almost but as said after a clean it was quiet and the system works well.