View Single Post
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 21:29   #6
TonyS

Default RE: '86 360 GLE B200E suspension and dipstick queries

The axle problem has bugged me for years, I did change one twice on a 340 which survived me driving it when I was around 20. Puddles had begin to be a problem with the car squirming when I when through them. The first one whas not much better, but then I found a gentle treated one in a breakers which was good for a while.

The reason I know is I drove a few borrowed new GLTs and GLEis from the dealer - wow, perfectly predictable, in fact my partners 323i seems a bit wobbly in comparision. My hard lived 360s were never as good as the new ones.

I have considered a cut a weld job.

BTW I meant the lower ball joint when I said the steering swivel, the top one is just a bearing. The top spring retainer plate can crack here on the bearing seat and cause all sorts of problems, especially more likely if you fit uprated shocks.. vagueness, severe pulling after full lock (fixed on applying the opposite lock). Its more likely on the strut designs (86 on I think), as its not as protected by the rubber bellows for the shock shaft, and tends to rust and weaken more.