View Single Post
Old Dec 24th, 2016, 23:59   #42
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
I think the biofuel content was at least 7% and even over 10% in some cases (in the past)
I have both ecu maps with and without the dpf software update and they seem to run under the same lamdas during regeneration (including post injection) also the regeneration intervals are the same
I had no rising oilevels with both of them but biocontent is max 2% over here

Now with more modern dieselengines nowadays with piezo injectors there are more injections pro cycle possible so maybe that curbs a bit
And if the oilring is different (source?} than it could a be bit of a difference
But with the older dpf d5ś it was almost the german and uk d5ś with the high biodiesel content that had the excessive problems
Bio diesel is a real good additive, as it keeps the fuel system nice and clean, in fact tests have shown it's better than most in-tank fuel additives in both lubricity and cleaning terms.

Early DPF systems were designed to increase long term main block wear rates, by contaminating the oil with fuel. The Bio fraction is much less volatile than normal diesel. The flaspoint of normal diesel is around 50, but for Bio diesel it's around 80c which is often not as high as the oil temp, so it accumulates if you short trip a lot.
I've seen contamination figures as high as 10% in a used oil analysis, when the limit is 2% for no significant long term effect.

Diesel is the second worst oil contaminant to ant-freeze, as it thins the oil down, often turning an SAE 30 into a 20. That is often thin enough to make the block rattle when fully warm.
It also interferes with the anti-wear, extreme pressure and in particular the friction modifier additives included in a major brand top of the range oil.

There are 2 ways of reducing the extra wear rates that result from contaminated diesel, firstly, move up one grade from OEM, which means using an Xw40 and change the oil far more often. Secondly use an additive like Liqui Moly Ceratec to boost the anti wear and friction modifying additives, then if you move up one grade to an Xw40 the max recommended oil change interval might be OK.

Ceratec is in my opinion the best oil additive around for older engines or ones that contaminate their oil. It contains hBn, a hexagonal form of Boron Nitride in an ultra fine suspension (It's a nano particle ceramic) AND more traditional Moly (Mo).
If you use a good major brand oil, the extra Mo is not needed, but the hBn is. Oddly enough Liqui Moly Ceratec is also real good at protecting a block if it gets overheated or subject to a leaky head gasket. Alas it will not prevent the head warping if you do a full steam train job.

Have a happy Christamas all!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Dec 25th, 2016 at 00:05.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post: