View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2018, 18:17   #1
V40addict

Default Types of engine: reliability etc.

Which engine according to you is to be preferred when buying a used Volvo of the late 90's , early 2000's , and in particular among the S40/V40 series ?

Some random reading I have done gave me the impression, the S40/V40 series had less issues than some other popular Volvo models of the days, that's one other reason I like the V40. For example, the XC 90 had a lot of gearbox (auto) issues I read, and the same engine was used in other models (V70 ? not sure). The only issue I know of for the S40/V40 series is the automatic gearbox that can fail. Also turbos like all turbo engines. And the GDI Mitsubishi engine which is not recommended.

Regarding turbo models, I thought the 2 liter engine had a turbo (always) but apparently there is a 2.0 non turbo model (140hp vs 160hp for the turbo one). Is there a way to easily distinguish one from the other ? And how does this 2.0 L non turbo engine compare to the 1.8 L ? Are parts interchangeable between the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0L ? Say you want to swap a gearbox, or cylinders ? The 1.6 and 1.8 L have a Renault gearbox I believe ...

As for the diesel engine in the S40/V40 series , how would you compare their reliability, cost of maintenance vs the petrol engines ? And their ability not to turn into "smokers" after x years of age ?

Last edited by V40addict; May 13th, 2018 at 18:20.
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote