View Single Post
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 10:01   #182
Odysseus

Puncture!

How annoying. The first puncture I've suffered in years. More annoying was that the hole was too close to the sidewall to be repaired.

This meant I had to use the space saver, which judging by the fact it still had a sticker on the tread had never, ever been used. Not bad in eight years and 198,000 miles! The downsides are however the car looks completely ridiculous.

Also, I'm fairly sure the space saver has a physically smaller rolling radius compared to the regular wheels and tyres, which mean my traction control light was occasionally flashing as the diff thought one of the wheels was rotating at a different speed to the other. Disappointed with that if I'm honest.

No-one around here carries Michelin Cross Climates in the size I needed in stock so I ordered another via Blackcircles. I had to wait a few days but yesterday the replacement tyre was fitted. £182.87. Ouch.

Aside from a slightly bruised wallet I thought my troubles were over, but this morning when I went to replace the space saver under the car, the cable to hold the space saver in place refuses to drop more than a couple of inches. I've seen a thread here (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99815) that seems to suggest the cable can get stuck, this might be what's happened to me. I've squirted WD40 up into the mechanism as much as I can but I'm a bit stuck if I'm honest.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post: