View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 16:13   #366
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Rust is like cancer. the only way to really cure it is to cut it out
I agree in principle but as shown above there are some circumstances where 99.99% of a panel is perfectly OK but you've still got to deal with the rust spots because in the future they are probably going to be trouble. I think you have little choice (except to replace the whole thing with new) but to use some sort of rust proofing / stopping / delaying product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
Rust is a conundrum.

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood...-vs-converter/

I'm new to this and not sure what is the best solution. I've started to use Eastwood's Fast Etch which is a phosphoric acid treatment on just about everything I paint. But I've found that it seems to works best at dissolving rust when worked over with one of those 3M abrading pads.
On the whole I think Eastwood products tend to be more or less the best you can get.

I don't like rust converters however. I think rust eating products are better such as evaporust (or the Rustyco stuff available here in the Benelux countries)

From my experiences, mechanical removal combined with a rust killing product is nearly always the most effective method available at any given time.

Once you've got as much rust removed as is humanly possible "rust sealing" products over the top help keep it at bay.

The thing I think to remember is that it is always there even if it is only a tiny spot - I don't think there is no such thing as a product that stops it for ever.

(For ever is one of those terms that can be abused - it might only mean "until I sell it and move on"!)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote