View Single Post
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 13:48   #6
c_lee
VOC26332

That's a good article Paul and easy to follow.

I replaced the in tank pump on one of my 240's last year and there are just a couple of things I would add.

1/. Before I disconnected the rubber pipes from the rigid pipes on the top of the plate I tied lengths of string round each and tied the other ends in the boot. With space in the hole tight to work in it would be easy to loose grip on a pipe and it to fall into the void behind the tank. If working with the car on the ground it would be difficult to crawl under to recover the pipe and you wouldn't be able to start the car to raise it on ramps.

2/. Before feeding the assembly back into the tank wire the open end of the float hook closed so that the float can't get dislodged and fall into the tank - it can be a tricky job to get the unit back through the hole. I originally didn't do that and lost the float in the tank and it can be very difficult to recover it - I tried for well over an hour and gave up as I needed the car. I had no fuel gauge for months and only did the float recovery about a month ago. When wiring the hook closed make sure there are no wire tails protruding that could catch on other things in the area.

HTH - Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post: