Thread: XC70: Suspension - repair costs track rodend ball joint et al
View Single Post
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 14:23   #6
AlexV70Drive1

The track rod end is a ball joint and the dust cover is a part of it too. If your track rod end is worn then that means the ball joint is worn, in this case it’s the dust cover that’s split letting in grit but that still means the rod end needs changing. I think you’re confused with the steering arm that connects the track rod end to the steering rack

No garage calls a ball joint a boot because the rubber boot is just that and is to keep dirt an grit out of the ball joint. So if the boot is split they’ll say it’s split letting in dirt(or not) and or they’ll say the ball joint is worn causing play in the steering.

I misread the Rear suspension arm pin/bush as the front, I read it again and as the OP has written it it does means the rear suspension not front. The rear suspension arms have bushes and you can have the bushes pressed out and new ones fitted or the whole arm changed for new.
It’s a few hundred quid to do it all probably near £300 but if it passed with advisories then I’d leave it until the next mot and be prepared to have them done but I have seen things go advised for years and not failed on.

I would have the track rod ends replaced now but leave the rear bushes until they get noisy or fail the mot.
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexV70Drive1 For This Useful Post: