View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 21:18   #73
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboBaggins1 View Post
Hi,

I am after a bit of help.

I have an XC60 D5 that has just shed it's auxiliary belt which then took out the cam belt. Crunch! I always get it MOT's, serviced and repaired at the same garage and they have been great in the past.

The alternator and I assume belt were only replaced by my garage less than 500 miles ago. The alternator was replaced due to bearing issues. At the time I mentioned that the tensioner pulley was probably the problem because the rescue guy had stuck in his long screw driver and we had had a listen after he got it restarted. Lots of chirping and grinding. After the alternator was replaced it did all sound better, so I assumed it was all ok.

The garage are now facing me with a huge bill, almost 3K and I'm not sure it should be me paying.

Any thoughts on this.

Many thanks
Was the aux belt and tensioner changed at the 54000 mile service ? who was responsible for the 54000 mile service ? Is there an outstanding recall or service campaign on the Aux belt and tensioner ?They would not necessarily have changed the belt just because the alternator was changed , was the Aux. belt on your bill ?
This is where the dealers earn their bread , knowing what is what and keeping your car out of trouble . ... It is quite complex The Aux belt and it's tensioner .