Thread: D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Loss of power on hills/no kickdown
View Single Post
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:49   #1
johnfenwick10

Question Loss of power on hills/no kickdown

In November, I posted the following thread and no-one, in the Forum, was able to offer a suggestion. Unfortunately, after two further visits to the Volvo garage, the problem still exists. It's really frustating, having such a powerful car, that can't overtake on hills. Can anyone suggest any tips please? : I have a 2002, S60 D5 2.4 turbo diesel automatic. It's been a flying machine and no trouble until last week when I attempted to overtake by using the kickdown function. The car went into limp home mode. I took it to the Volvo garage, where it gets regular services, and they replaced the MAF which returned the car to driving normally, except the kickdown doesn't work at all. It seems to jam itself into 3rd gear and it won't go past 60MPH while in the kickdown mode, it's especially noticeable on hills, where overtaking becomes impossible. By easing off the accelerator the gear switches to 4th and normal power resumes. I took it back to the garage and they checked on the lower two engine mountings, fuel filter and the air hoses, but cannot find a problem. The computer delivers the message "Engine Service Required" but the Volvo garage's computer can't seem to diagnose the exact problem. Does anyone have any ideas????

Last edited by johnfenwick10; Feb 4th, 2009 at 08:54.
johnfenwick10 is offline   Reply With Quote