View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 14:46   #2
mikanystrom

I should add that it's an A/C car (A/C doesn't work but still), so the control valve is on the engine side of the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikanystrom View Post
Hello forum,
Putting the finishing touches on the job, the heater control valve finally broke after leaking
a bit. The plastic body cracked and the plastic pipe came off entirely. I think it was original. Half metal, half plastic.

It happened in a gas station, so I MacGyvered the replacement of the valve for now with a 13mm deep socket working as a pipe! It leaves a gap in my tool box but keeps the system from leaking and the heater working.

But for future replacement, I hear people recommend a motorcraft part, which is half metal, half plastic like the original.

I was wondering if I could use Four Seasons 74603 instead. Can anyone see any downsides with this? 74603 is an all metal unit. It is a replacement unit for early 1970s Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, etc. It seems safer than a half plastic unit, and I have seen the damage that can happen from having one of these fail. On my old Cadillacs, I have never seen one of these develop a water leak (although I have seen them develop bad vacuum leaks after 40+ years, but I'm not sure we care as much about that).

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/fo...ter+valve,6860
mikanystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikanystrom For This Useful Post: