View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 07:55   #8
arctan

Default Coolant level sensor and heater valve.

I'm just in the process of doing a coolant level sensor. I got two sensors from a breakers yard (one off an early 960- I took the crusty tank as well, and one off a V70- looks like same sensor just different plugs). I'm going to wire it in place of the windscreen washer empty sensor- I don't need to know if screenwash level is low, whereas engine coolant...
It would be nice to get a buzzer in there somehow, even wire it up to the unimportant car alarm horn!
I bought a new expansion tank last year, I can't remember if it had a float, possibly not. There is a part number on the base of the crusty 960 tank, which does have a internal float, I may have to order one of these.
I did the heater valve earlier as preventative work, using the half metal, half plastic motorcraft valve. Fairly similar to the one that came out, apart from vacuum nipple. If I'd known of your all metal one I'd have gone for that. Fit and forget?
Previously, on three 940's. I've had failures on:
Three radiators.
Two expansion Tanks.
One heater hose.
Two heater valves.
One expansion tank top hose (the thin one to the rad).
Probably some other hoses.
Two water pumps.
The engines all, amazingly, survived, without obvious damage. I think I was lucky?
Good at sensing steam?
My present 940 came to me with a slight external leak from cylinder one, I didn't spot it at the point of purchase. I ran it for a while then did the head gasket recently, an odd choice of birthday present I suppose! And all my cooling hoses and parts are now young, unlike me ...
arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arctan For This Useful Post: