View Single Post
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 20:41   #4
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

I towed for a couple of years with a Citroen (lemon) C5 2.2diesel auto, with no problems at all.
It would run happily up to 60 on dual carriageways and motorways, and sit in 'top' on the auto box for mile after mile (it had cruise control as well) without hunting. Going up Shap and Beattock I set the cruise to about 55mph and the box was quite happy, occasionally dropping one gear on the twistier bits of beattock.
I tried the 'sport' mode on a couple of times, but was less happier in that because its wanted higher revs to change 'up' so was much more difficult to get into 'top' and much more likely to drop down from it at the slightest provocation.
Snow/winter mode I found very good for getting off grotty muddy pitches, especially after the torrential rain on the holiday wer had in Scotland.
The auto box was fine in normal mode towing all over Scotland, the only 'moments' I had were towing along the road that goes along the shores of Loch Lomond (is that the A9?) but that was a factor of the horrid narrowness of the road, and complete disregard of everyone else on the road of the never ending stream of Sheerings and Wallace Arnold tour busses, and nothing to do with the gearbox, in fact I suspect that it was the autobox thay kept me going, threading between the coaches and the rocks, able to concentrate totally on the road, and not worry about gearchanging as well!!
I do have to say that diesel is much my preferred option for towing, the lower rev range of torque, and higher 'actual' torque make towing much more relaxing with both auto or manual boxes