View Single Post
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 17:38   #13
gothamus

Exclamation Running

I've succeeded in running the engine and moving around the block a few times. Still some work to do, I've must do a lot more running in before I can say the job is completed, but there is a pretty good chance I'm going to be fully functional over the weekend.
I was able to take my head to Jesse at C.A.M.S in East Islip, Long Island. He is an excellent fellow. He has a workshop in what looks like an old barn next to his late-19th/early 20th century house. He also pointed me to some good Barbecue in E Islip. The head definitely needed grinding. He also ground the thermostat opening on the top. Too much pitting. The condition of the head required the work and he held little doubt this was the cause of my leaking.
Before installing the head I cleaned out the bores for the head bolts and the coolant pathways was well as I could without pulling the engine. Remember that I bought this engine as re-built. I was overly hopeful about how much work was done despite my finding the condition less than satisfactory. The only work I can see having been done was the bottom end cleaned, the pistons look to have been cleaned. Without pulling them I cannot verify the rings and all that I received receipts for were installed. The cylinders do not have a ridge. I spent a week doing the best I could cleaning coolant channels. I found rusty bits and a leaf. The machinist told me the bottom end of these engines are quite durable and can take much abuse. Too bad I won't be able to say or believe the job is a properly re-built engine. I'm wondering if I'll blow a ring in the next few days! I have a few weeks before our Berkshire getaway. Driving those country backroads in my Amazon made last summer one of my best trips in years. I really really really won't be happy if I'm driving a Nissan Altima up there. I will smile nonetheless. Compartmentalism! I can do it with the best of them!

I am reluctant to write this guys name here. I'll check with a legal advisor first. If I had some money left I would take him to court. I am sure he is going to do the same to others. He has an 1800, 242 and a 122. That he is into these cars, can talk the talk, name drop while actually not only committing fraud but moving cars along to their grave (an Amazon needing body work that isn't running? Might be better broken up for parts, right?) is all the worse. I didn't find a criminal record on him. But he was in a court case some decades ago. And deep searching found a post on a forum about his not delivering a yellow 242 to a buyer. Maybe the one I saw in his driveway? He was trying to get my old block off my hands. Now I assume to assemble for another unsuspecting soul.

Enough darkness. Thinking of purchasing or doing business with a mechanic claiming disability In New York State? Does he play Jazz music in NYC from time to time? Contact me for more information. I'm not talking about VPD. Enough of this now.
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote