View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 00:15   #13
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

An interesting update:

The engine had started developing a knock and on inspection the lower front engine tie rod bolt had fallen out that had clearly worked its way loose. This in turn meant the engine was moving so the charge air side had an air leak under high revs.

The orange side at the top of the resonator box was actually damaged and clearly failing.

I replaced the resonator box with the suggested pipe which I bought online for £25 delivered. I fitted this and refitted the engine tie rod and the car runs a lot better and is quieter.

Problem solved.... NO!!

So the soot filter Is returning again and oil consumption remains. I’m still waiting for the new oil PCV membrane and spring to arrive to fit which is another chance that things may move on.

However, an interesting thing happened when I completed a static regen of the DPF through VIDA. The regen finished stating that the soot had been returned zero from 26.3. I think monitored the particles as I’ve left the engine and it reved the car up to 1, 2, 3 % and then it self reset back to 0. I repeated this for about five minutes And when I stopped the value was still zero. KPI was about 75 on the wedding in about 38 and idle.

So I left the VIDA monitoring the soot particles and took the car for a spin and within two minutes the soot particle count went back up to 26 an, you guessed it, the soot filter warning returned...

But he is the interesting thing.

When I drove the car back to the house the particle count started dropping by 0.1 on idle and the count was returning to 0 but stopped over a couple of minutes at 22.

So, although I know I’m still burning oil I have ordered a replacement DPF pressure sensor as I’m wondering if there is a failed component miss reporting the soot load.? When fitting I will also ensure that the DPF pipes are cleaned out prior to reassembly.

On Monday I should have my part to replace the PCV valve which hopefully may help with the oil consumption.

Another thing to consider is a DPF clean that maybe there is crap in there just cannot be shifted.

Any helpful comments?

Last edited by NMB; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 00:20.
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote