View Single Post
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 14:45   #24
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Once you've got it working, trade it in for the 2.0 Petrol model.

That 2.0d (peugeot/ford) engine is not enconomical enough for the hassle of seeing "engine system service required" every few weeks.

Second hand diesel cars ranging from 2005 to 2010 (Euro 4 emission regs) are going to cause you constant problems at this point in their life cycle. They will be gummed up with all kinds of muck and soot etc. It's just not worth owning them, especially given that these cars will FAIL their mot if any of their Particulate filters etc have been removed.

And given that petrol is significantly cheaper than diesel at the moment.... to me it's just not worth owning them.

If you REALLY need a diesel engine in this car, you should go for a D3/D4/D5 engine, which is a Volvo engine and can only be found in Volvo cars.

That 2.0d engine can be found in Peugeots, Citroens, Fords and lets be honest, those manufacturers are not associated with longevity.
I had good economy out of my 2d but thanks to the EGR it was pretty gummed up inside. I was lucky with mine, I had age related issues but nothing major apart from the AC and an ignition switch going. I could achieve low fifties on a run as long as I kept the speed sensible but the ECO gumph definitely was the failing on those engines.

TT