View Single Post
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 15:05   #26
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Once you've got it working, trade it in for the 2.0 Petrol model.

That 2.0d (peugeot/ford) engine is not enconomical enough for the hassle of seeing "engine system service required" every few weeks.

Second hand diesel cars ranging from 2005 to 2010 (Euro 4 emission regs) are going to cause you constant problems at this point in their life cycle. They will be gummed up with all kinds of muck and soot etc. It's just not worth owning them, especially given that these cars will FAIL their mot if any of their Particulate filters etc have been removed.

And given that petrol is significantly cheaper than diesel at the moment.... to me it's just not worth owning them.

If you REALLY need a diesel engine in this car, you should go for a D3/D4/D5 engine, which is a Volvo engine and can only be found in Volvo cars.

That 2.0d engine can be found in Peugeots, Citroens, Fords and lets be honest, those manufacturers are not associated with longevity.
That's not been my experience.... with reasonable maintenance the 2.0D unit is easily capable of 200k plus. I agree they do tend to gum up but it is an easy job to remove the inlet manifold and clean it up (which might need doing once around 100-150k) and they're no more susceptible to this than the earlier D5's.

Although the roots of the engine are primitive (back to the XUD PSA units of the early 90's) it's a nice torquey lump and the characteristics of it suit that car well and 50+ mpg is the norm on a good run. The 7% premium we pay for diesel fuel does not come near to balancing out the economy difference between the 2.0D and 2.0 petrol.

I my experience the bigger problem with the 2.0D in the S40/V50 platform is the crappy Ford alternator and starter motor that invariably give up between 100k and 150k.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 31st, 2018 at 15:07.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: