View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:44   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Just my tuppenth- The rear bushes on that control arm are normally pretty good. My 300,000 miler had her spaceship bushes changed not so long ago for the MOT. All was good with the rear bush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by besidetheseaside View Post
I think he means the dished surface where the flying saucer bushes fit into to be honest, I will get a good finish on them when I have them on the bench.
Used the hot cold method on the Jag recently when I did the fulcrum bearings, put the outer race in the freezer and warmed the rear hub up with a blowtorch, it makes the job so much easier
Looking at his opening sentence Don, i really, honestly think he means the rear/inner bush where the tie rod attaches to the chassis. The control arm is the one on the subframe to hub, it's located by the tie rod that the spaceship bushes go on the front/outer end of.

I can see it could be interpreted in two different ways and i might be proved wrong but on the front/outer end of the tie rod where the spaceship goes, you're fitting new washers and a new bolt so shouldn't be a problem there. When he points out that the spaceship bushes needed changing for the MoT but the rear (or inner depending on how you view it) bush was ok, that points towards it being where the tie rod attaches to the chassis.

The reason i suggested the oven is because it gives a more even heat but some bits you can't get in there or would be prohibitive to remove, hence the blowtorch.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: