Thread: D5 (2005 on) - Engine Oil
View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2014, 00:46   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
I use the 0 30 purely because that is what is recommended. After reading sky ships reply how would I know what other oils are suitable for the dpf in simple terms is this what the a5 b5 specification means Ie low ash Ect?
Firstly I would just stick to the recommended oil or a good major brand equivalent with the same Acea specs until the oil consumption rises from a post break in period and that might be a long time.

The A specs are for petrol engines only, the B specs are for diesels without a DPF, BUT just to complicate things there are now two DPF sets of specs. The C ones and the E ones. Your owners handbook should list which C or E one is required, but this PDF has the definitions:
http://www.acea.be/uploads/publicati..._Sequences.pdf

In fuel economy terms I would be inclined to stick with Edge 0/30 and try LM Ceratec, as the actual viscosity of Edge 0/30 is fairly high. Ceratec is perfectly OK for DPF diesels and produces some real good results. In fact I was just looking at this example:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/1...e113b069_b.jpg

The Moly and Boron figures are higher as they are the main active compounds. The all important Iron figure tracks the oil change interval, so it should be much higher (70 to 80), as should the other wear metals (3K to 8K mile OCI) like Aluminium and Lead. They might be tending to trend down in break in terms, but that takes a long time.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; May 24th, 2014 at 01:06.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post: