View Single Post
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 10:22   #311
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Referring to your earlier photo :

The crankshaft is at TDC in this photo - see the keyway in the crankshaft? See the pointer on the timing cover behind it? THey are lined up, this is TDC. As long as the camshaft marks are in alignment with the marks on the backplate to confirm the cam is at TDC, you should be right on everything

However, the cam lobes don't appear to be in the right position for TDC - i could be wrong but i don't think so.

Has the bolt securing the cam drive pulley ever been removed to your knowledge? Usually there is a dowel pin or roll pin in the drive end of the cam shaft to engage with the drive pulley to ensure correct timing, i'm wondering if this has been previously lost and not replaced. It is item #32 in this pic :

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s...rimLevel=24679

It's also not unknown for this pin to shear which again could alter the relationship between camshaft and pulley. It is cheap and still available :

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...46/951963.html

It's listed under a different label number in that diagram but is the same part. At this stage of the game, i really think it would be worthwhile checking to make sure this spring pin (as Volvo call it) is there and intact. It would certainly explain a lot if it wasn't!
I don’t know if cam sprocket has ever been removed. So TDC is correct. It lines up. But the camshaft is not lining up. Hm. So item 32 is broken and therefore isn’t lining up with camshaft sprocket marks. Before I bought this car. Previous owner said it’s been sitting in a barn for 1 year.

Can I adjust the cam lobe #1 pointing right up. And then see what happens when I crank it?

If that doesn’t help. It’s the item 32 that’s broken then? Well I’ll try to adjust the cam pointing up
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammorack For This Useful Post: