View Single Post
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 16:44   #33
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmac View Post
Hi Ilmiont,

The very best of luck with the DIY. It's definitely worht persevering.

With that in mind, can I be the unpopular one to ask the obvious question, purely because we've all been upside down for the first time under a UK condition Volvo? Do you have a bi-directional torque wrench or could you be turning the bolt the wrong way?

Best regards,

Rich.
Thanks. I intend to persevere, I don't give up easily! My frustration is mainly aimed at whoever did this to the car.

The torque wrench is bi-directional (Halfords Advanced). There's a nice big arrow indicating which way to push so I'm sure it's been going in the correct direction.

I found a Seigen-branded oil extractor on eBay which seems to be a slightly cheaper version of the Sealey TP69. It said "order within 9 minutes for free next day delivery" (it was nearly 7pm last night) which sounded too good to be true; credit to them (FFX), it did get dispatched very quickly afterwards but Royal Mail didn't fulfil. I'm not too surprised in the current circumstances - maybe it will turn up tomorrow.

When I get back I am hoping to do the things that I've ended up running out of time for this week. The biggest challenge I have, not mentioned in this thread but possibly in others, is parking/garage space - I'm in a three car household with a narrow driveway for two cars, parked virtually bumper-to-bumper one behind the other. Sadly it's generally mine that lives on the road and in any case getting her onto the driveway to do anything with a jack involves a game of musical chairs to move both the other cars down the road and still leaves limited space. There's no opportunity to leave the car in an unroadworthy state for any amount of time without being an inconvenience to everyone. If it's not going to be drivable again by the end of the weekend, I can't really do it.

There's an industrial estate within walking distance so I'm thinking about making enquiries soon and see about getting a permanent space which would give much more confidence and opportunity to tackle jobs. Then if it went awry, it wouldn't be an issue to anyone, whereas at the moment it would be and not just to me.

Last night I mentioned I was going to look at sump replacement options which would be my last resort (it will bug me forever if this plug never comes off); VIDA makes it look quite straightforward but definitely not something I'd try with the current parking situation! And I imagine a genuine sump would be a fortune, based on what I paid for a Volvo exhaust last year. Big Swedish metal bits = £££s it seems. I remember months ago I was on YouTube and watched a video that ended up removing the sump on a five cylinder but a P80 chassis and that involved lifting the engine and all sorts of antics to get it off; VIDA doesn't show anything like that for a P2 - remove oil cooler, take most the screws out the sump, give it a tap and lift off. In theory. But I don't know if I'd trust myself to apply liquid gasket and reseal everything if it came to that! (NOT something I plan to do, just curious. Always interesting to read these procedures.)

I'm getting ahead of myself though, for the near term I'll use vacuum extraction for oil changes and reassess whether I can be bothered with a functioning drain plug when I've got more time available and have seen how well extraction works.

Last edited by ilmiont; Sep 30th, 2021 at 16:50.
ilmiont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post: