View Single Post
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 18:24   #35
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post

Last night I mentioned I was going to look at sump replacement options which would be my last resort (it will bug me forever if this plug never comes off); VIDA makes it look quite straightforward but definitely not something I'd try with the current parking situation! And I imagine a genuine sump would be a fortune, based on what I paid for a Volvo exhaust last year. Big Swedish metal bits = £££s it seems. I remember months ago I was on YouTube and watched a video that ended up removing the sump on a five cylinder but a P80 chassis and that involved lifting the engine and all sorts of antics to get it off; VIDA doesn't show anything like that for a P2 - remove oil cooler, take most the screws out the sump, give it a tap and lift off. In theory. But I don't know if I'd trust myself to apply liquid gasket and reseal everything if it came to that! (NOT something I plan to do, just curious. Always interesting to read these procedures.
I’d agree, it would bug me forever if I didn’t fix the sump plug. Have you tried just using a breaker bar (and maybe a length of fence post) to apply a load of torque to your sump plug? You have not got much to lose, if it snaps off you will have to take the sump off to drill it out anyway. Just remember: righty tightly - left loosy (draw an arrow on the sump before you start gorillaing,

I have an extractor pump (for ATF changes), but it would irritate me not to be able to use the sump plug :-)