View Single Post
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 17:34   #7
P1800 ES

Thanks for all the wisdom and help so far. I found some time to go back to the car again today as this has been really bugging me. I did have the cold start valve disconnected as it was faulty but I sourced a replacement and wanted to connect it up to see if that would make a difference.

The cold start valve is controlled by the two white wires on the starter trigger spade connector and I was hoping that connecting to the valve would somehow complete the circuit; but connecting the replacement vale made no difference.

The green trigger wire to the solenoid is earth with the ignition off and it switches to positive when you turn the key. I tested this again and it's fine.

With the keys out of the ignition I jumped a positive signal to the trigger wire on the solenoid and it cranked over and didn't stop. I can only conclude the new solenoid is faulty, but what is really bugging me is that it functions as it should when bench tested - with a ground to the starter chassis, a direct feed to the post and a positive trigger. When i release the positive trigger on the bench the starter stops and retracts.

I'm at my wits end so I'm going to buy a replacement starter and solenoid unit and hope for the best. That's all I can think to do right now!

And for anyone looking for a replacement cold start valve for a b20e/f, the jaguar xjs v12 from the same vintage uses exactly the same valves. I managed to find a pair on ebay in good working order for £35 - a whole lot cheaper than the £200-300 prices I see listed for the Volvo.
P1800 ES is offline   Reply With Quote