Thread: Engine: D5244: - Ecm 6805 and boost related issues
View Single Post
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 20:13   #22
Ndavis

Thanks for this thread - it has proved invaluable!

Just recently picked up an S60 D5 on an 03 plate with 117k for 1200 quid, though on the drive home, the dreaded 'engine service required' limp mode would chime in every time I tried to take it past 2.5k rpm... The car had a new intercooler in July this year and a new pattern fuel filter, which ruled them out, but here's what I worked through:

-Top engine mount was shagged, so replaced it and at the same time changed thr turbo inlet pipe for a new pattern one. Still no change. .

-Took EGR valve pipe off and decoked it, though it wasn't too bad compared to some I've seen on here.

- Took of the turbo control valve and cleaned the tiny membrane/fiter with carb cleaner. This was completely blocked. Noticeable pick up in turbo response afterwards and engine seemed smoother, but still got limp mode at 2.5k.

I was about to give in and get the codes read, when I read somewhere else that booting it hard in 4th gear from 40mph can 'exercise' and unstick the turbo vanes... I did this several times after putting 30 quids worth of Shell V Power in it, and with each 'boot' it got higher up the rev range before the limp mode cut in. After about five goes, it then pulled cleanly up to the red line with no limp mode!

I have since given it a good shoeing in 3rd and 4th, and it seems to have cured it... It has returned a couple of times after prolonged low rpm driving around town in traffic, but then clears again once 'booted.'

In short, I plan to run a couple of tanks of V Power and some redex through it to give it achance, but the above pretty much seems to have done the job!

Hope this helps someone out in the same way the rest of this thread has done for me...!

Nick
Ndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ndavis For This Useful Post: