View Single Post
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 20:19   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

I recently bought a cordless Aldi Ferrex Impact Driver, 40V Battery & Charger for £65 which spins off the V0 wheel bolts with ease - it is quoted as 180Nm torque.

It has worked well on an assortment of rusted nuts/ bolts but I've not tried it on any bolts/nuts over 19mm - the downside that I can see is that it is a ⅜ drive which to my mind isn't enough metal in the adapter shaft to cope with anything anywhere near 180Nm torque to undo or do up on the other hand an impact driver does seem to overcome many problems.

I carry a 12v Cougar impact driver in the boot bought for around £25 delivered, including 4 sockets and an extension bar, from the now defunct Bid TV some years ago, it is no light weight at around 6lbs, but whips the wheel bolts off really quickly - works best with the engine running - I've no idea what the torque rating is, but believe you me if my feet are not firmly planted on the ground and bracing my body against the car side, there's enough torque developed to spin me, and I'm not exactly a light weight - there's a spec here https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Impact-Wr...ets/B0095VU5T6 but apparently not in stock.

There are lots of choices out there, it really depends upon how much you want to spend, what you intend to use it for and how often you intend to use it. Go for a brushless variant if you can they tens to be more reliable in the longer term but much comes down to quality of the bearings and gearing.

If i was buying again any money wasn't the priority I'd probably go for a Milwaukee, Dewalt or Makita but only the brushless higher voltage battery models.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post: