Thread: V70: General - Fitting new A/C belt
View Single Post
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 13:01   #6
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxie View Post
Haha! I know how you feel. I'm just confused by why Gates would advocate the use of a cable tie when I'm sure they'd rather sell those service tools they make for this job. I'm pretty sure I went through Gates' rigorous vehicle model version flow chart for my particular engine correctly and they of all people ought to know the correct method to install any particular product of theirs. :-/
Do they actually sell fitting tools though ? If not, they might be reluctant to recommend anything that could render them liable.

With a cable-tie attached to the belt, the fitter can't do any more damage [to the belt or the car] than they would by forcing the belt on by hand.

Starter motor ? No way, sounds very dangerous. Besides, if you've not got the auxillary belt fitted, if you turn the engine over, there won't be anything turning the upper pulley (aux belt goes on outer pulley, A/C belt on inner pulley)....or have I got that wrong ?