Thread: Odd problem
View Single Post
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 14:30   #19
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
In post #15, Arcturus posted a link to a closed Facebook group for the B4-B16 engines. So I couldn't read the article referenced.

But I asked to join that group, and my "application" is pending. If they have any sense of propriety, they will keep me out. Just like Groucho, I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me for a member.
This is the text. Tho pic's will make things clearer

Nothing lasts forever including the coil on our PVs. Original replacements are unavailable so how to replace whilst still keeping original appearance and mounting?
First of all unfasten the ignition switch (don't forget to disconnect battery first) by removing the two screws which attach it to the dash. Remove the three screws which hold the coil on the bulkhead. Carefully pull out the whole coil switch assembly. Next you need to cut through the armored cable and separate the coil from the switch. cut off the base of the coil as in photo and then cut off the Bakelite top.You can just make out where on the photo marked in red. You can then push out the innards and leave the holder intact. There are some metal sleeves around the wire coil which you should save. The new coil is then inserted into the mounting,you may need to pack it a bit with the sleeves depending on the diameter of the new coil. Pull off the armor which goes into the switch and solder in a new LT cable. When it,s all re installed the only difference visible from original is an extra terminal.