View Single Post
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 20:37   #12
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50France View Post
Hi Welsh Phil,

I have what feels like the same problem as the one you described. I also have a T5 (2004, 172,000 miles, still fantastic) I first noticed it about a year ago ie in the onset of the cold and wet weather of the winter. I had the strut top bearings replaced but no real improvement. In the summer the problem was not really noticeable but now it is back for the winter. I wonder if you resolved the problem and if so what was the answer?

Cheers, Keith
What does your PAS fluid level look like? Is it still completely full or has it dropped?

Both our Volvos S40 and V50 have had steering rack issues. The S40 seals began leaking but using PAS leak fluid (I forget the brand) stopped it. The V50 hydraulic pipes on the rack corroded and had to be replaced. A local garage fabricated replacement pipes avoiding rack replacement. In the case of the S40 the only symptom was fluid leaking on the drive. In the case of the V50 the notchy steering was the giveaway sign with stiff spots being apparent especially when the car was cold.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE

Last edited by iainmd; Dec 12th, 2017 at 20:40.
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote