View Single Post
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 15:16   #13
V50France

Default Fixed it via this Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50France View Post
Hi Welsh Phil,

I have what feels like the same problem as the one you described. I also have a T5 (2004, 172,000 miles, still fantastic) I first noticed it about a year ago ie in the onset of the cold and wet weather of the winter. I had the strut top bearings replaced but no real improvement. In the summer the problem was not really noticeable but now it is back for the winter. I wonder if you resolved the problem and if so what was the answer?

Cheers, Keith
I did more research on this topic in the forum and found several references to the benefits of using LUCAS Power Steering Stop Leak. I bought the 355 ml bottle from Amazon. I then used the very helpful information in this article to set about removing some of the old fluid....

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264075

I used a piece of plastic tube to suck out the old fluid from the reservoir. I then removed the reservoir and sucked out the fluid from the pipe going down to the pump. I reassembled things and filled up with the Lucas fluid. It has the consistency of Golden Syrup and I only used about 300 ml. A 5 mile test drive saw the steering start to feel much better. I then left the car for a week of cold and wet weather. A second test drive showed the problem was totally cured and the steering now feels like it must have done when the car had done 170,000 miles fewer than it has on the clock now. Sublime steering and a very cost effective fix. This is a product I fully endorse.
V50France is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V50France For This Useful Post: