View Single Post
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 17:01   #1
lockstock

Default interior LED bulb heat. issue? c30.

I've searched and this particular issue hasnt been discussed.

So I'm considering an interior light LED upgrade. I've read about 2 issues. 1, if they are not 'CAN BUS' ready (a silly description), they may flicker and could have a very slight dim glow when switched off.

If they are 'CAN BUS' ready, they wont have these issues.

From what I understand, interior lights on the C30 are not monitored so LEDs should be fine to work. The can bus ready ones, simply appear to have a rectifier and a resistor added to them. The issue is, from what I've seen the added resistor means additional current draw and heat generation. The T10 LED bulbs can reach 230 degrees C, as at 12v with the added 110ohm resistor they draw a lot of current.

So, here is the question, has anyone installed these and noticed them getting hot? Is there an auto electrician on here who can advise if this is an 'ignored risk' people are taking, because at 200 hundred degrees, if you leave a map bulb on accidentally, I can't imagine this is safe...

Or perhaps the interior bulbs run at lower voltage and even with LED and added resistor are still all safe.

here is a vid covering what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/tkPGqM0Sl64
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post: