View Single Post
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 00:03   #11
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
A UK 86 GLT would 10:1, the last high compression injection year, unless it was a special country requirement for very low octane. Carb continued with high compression until 87.

Makes a huge difference at near tickover along with the more advanced ignition. You don't need revs to pull off (1000 is enough for a strong pull of the mark). I kept stalling the 87 360 GLT, 940 Turbo and 323i after having driving the 87 360 GLE for so long.

They kept the same overall power in the low compression version by changing the cam and moving the power band up the revs with more dwell and lift. There is a table about somewhere with all the figures.

B200E on a 360 is not the same as a 700/900 B200E. You can't use the short engine code to determine the cam or compression. You need an 2nd letter (eg B200EO).

low compression cam is A cam. high compression K, I think, might be the other way round or different again for injection.
That's some great info, thanks.
I read somewhere on 300mania that in NZ we have the B200EO engines.

In NZ we got the Aus spec cars so I'm guessing mine's high compression as Aus only got the sportier cars, so that means it's a K cam.

I haven't had a chance to have a look what my cam is but you've just saved me time and money.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote