View Single Post
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 10:42   #9
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
This is a general comment that I have not seen elsewhere.

Given that I hardly ever look at the videos stored on a dashcam, the SD card does not have to be so readily accessible as to be within reach of the front seat passenger. I am also interested in a minimum size installation of the dash cam on the windscreen.

One idea that arises is to use a small camera-only unit on the windscreen with a circuit racing type of recording box located elsewhere. However, and it is a big however, such equipment seems to be expensive.

Another idea, and one that seems viable, is to use a 2-channel dashcam such as the Blackvue DR750S in the following manner. Apparently, the two cameras have the same resolution and angle of view (that would really need checking specifically). Why not swap them round and use the smaller rear camera in the front of the car, and the larger front camera with recording facility in the rear? Is there any downside to this?
I considered the option of fitting the larger camera in the rear but discounted it for several reasons 1) the larger camera 100mm(w) x 60mm(h) x 40 tapering to30mm(d) is almost totally hidden by the rear view mirror, 2) if fitted to the tailgate 2 wires,power and data would have to be run, 3) If a Blackvue is similar to a Thinkware you are prompted to re-format the memory card every 2 weeks to preserve card integrity by pressing a button for several seconds and 4) you wouldn't be able to capture events elsewhere ie those not involving an impact with your car.

Frank
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boatie For This Useful Post: