View Single Post
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 20:33   #265
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
That would be great! But a bit more involved than I fancy! Assuming it's possible with the FWD to RWD conversion too?

Brilliant advice as always Dave, thanks. I drove a 2.3 n/a (with the more advanced injection system and ZF autobox) a week or two ago and was pleasantly surprised at the difference in torque and get-up-and-go, over my B200E, but as you say - that may still be insufficient with an LPG conversion and an even heavier car once converted.

So it seems that the most logical swap would be the 2.8 V6? This is good, 170 odd bhp and a V6 soundtrack appeal to me! Any specifics to look out for - i'm assuming the B280E is the Jetronic injection, and i'd need a locking torque converter on the autobox, so post 1988?

Your estate is a B280E IIRC Dave? What's your opinion of it, especially compared to your 827 - a quite appropriate comparison really.
The T5 conversion is possible but it's not for the faint-hearted and again, you'd have turbo lag of some description. Also the whiteblocks seem to have a habit of cracking the cylinder liners resulting in a dead engine.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=135987

That thread is worth a read, all about converting a 245GLT into what i would call a 255GLT-t. Started out with the B230E (same injection as yours and as the auto would have been you tried Tom) and was converted to T5 power. It's a little on the long side (118 pages) but has a lot of information.

Why would you need a lock-up torque converter if you went for a B280E Tom? Mine hasn't got one and if you were going to go for the B280E, i'd suggest getting the box with the engine to minimise downtime. To be honest, it doesn't need it, once the car is rolling, anything over 2000rpm and the torque converter is almost as good as locked. It does still function as a TC but with very little slip.

As for comparing the 760 and 827, the only real comparison i can make is the 760 is about as close as i've found to an 827 estate. If i was going to use either for towing or load-lugging, it would be the 760 as it has better low down torque. The 827 being a multivalve engine is better at the top end of the range though.
As for what you should look for in a donor car, all the usual applies. Try and get the whole car, you'll need the LH-Jetronic loom and a few other bits like the EZ118K ignition unit, other things like the alternator would be handy to have as well (bigger output and slightly different shape) and you'll need the front end of the exhaust too.

Avoid the B280F (Lambda and cat) as you lose 23bhp in the cat. Finding a V6 might be a struggle though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: