View Single Post
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 13:42   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1972 View Post
So a 2006 C70 T5 has popped up. 77K miles. 3 owners. However the roof doesnt work. Mmmm going to offer him £1k.

What's the T5 engine like ? PCV issues ? What do i need to look out for ? Which is the better engine t5 or d5 ?

roof doesnt work. How easy are the roofs to work on ? sounds like I will need to get the volvo diag software. Anyone here had to diag a non working working ?

Simon
T5 MPG is very bad but reliability and longevity is very high. Mine is at 151,000 miles and pulls like a train in every gear, at basically any RPM.

D5 is also a very good engine but don't expect better than high 30's/low 40s for average MPG. They do have more things to go wrong than the T5, but that is the same for all diesel engines.

Regarding the T5 PCV, a whistling noise at idle that disappears when you pull the dipstick (with a hiss of released pressure) indicates that the PCV diaphram has torn. You can apparently buy the diaphram alone online for cheap (Poland etc), however most people just replace the whole PCV housing, which is more expensive to do.

Other than that, in terms of reliability they (T5) are excellent.

It's really just a case of can you live with the MPG. I've just had to buy a D5 to run alongside my T5, because I can't afford to run a T5 as my main car anymore.