Thread: xc60 AWD tyres
View Single Post
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 01:09   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavo47 View Post
Hi All
Quick question on changing tyres, I have xc60 AWD D5 R design 2014 was advised my front tyres are nearly ready for changing, I've measured the tread depth and its about 4mm on front 6mm on rear dealer is telling me to change all 4 tyres together as its AWD but it would be a shame to bin the rear tyres with 6mm on them, I have been told that I could just change the fronts as long as the new tyres with 8mm tread go on the back and the rear 6mm tread go on front something to do with the drive is there any logic to this or is it a load of tosh, would really like your opinions on this.
Many thanks
Mav
There is no reason to change all four. On some older AWD cars with a thermo viscous coupling (Vauxhall Cavalier, Land Rover Freelander 1, pre-2003 MY Volvo) it is important to keep the tyres about the same circumference or transmission damage can occur. However on the later cars with a Haldex based system (all post 2003 MY Volvo) it is simply not an issue whatsoever [to the longevity of the drivetrain] how you mix part worn tyres or where the less worn ones are fitted. So yes it is absolute tosh.

AWD system apart - opinion is divided as to whether you put the best tyres to the back or front - but probably all manufacturers and most motoring bodies (AA, RAC) now recommend the rear on the basis that there would be a greater chance of regaining control of the car if it aquaplaned. However 6mm and 8mm is so close and if you put the 8mm at the front, by the time the rears have worn to 4mm the fronts will have too. In spite of recommending that new tyres go to the rear, Volvo also recommend that you rotate the tyres regularly which invariably means putting the less worn ones to the front...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 28th, 2017 at 01:13.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote