Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 15:47   #2076
Othen
Premier Member

Default Pholus Wheels (continued)

The final page of the Pholus wheels chapter.

I collected the wheels with their winter tyres fitted this afternoon. I was happy to see they are serious, directional treads, two left and two right of course:

I took the opportunity to check everything over whilst each wheel was off; a PO has spent good money fitting these 20mm track extenders to the rear:

There were no fitting or clearance problems:

I'm pleased to say the Pholus wheels look (in my humble opinion) absolutely fantastic on the car:

... and from the other side:

I took the RB for a short test drive, it is a miserable old day here, probably about 6C and drizzly rain has left the roads quite greasy. It was no significant test but I'm pleased to say the winter tyres are no noisier than the summer ones, grip seems to be very good and there are no wobbles or shakes, so the wheels are fine.

I took half an hour to give the Virgo wheels a thorough scrub up with degreaser and the pressure washer - I think that is an additional bonus of swapping between winter and summer tyres: everything gets a good clean and inspection twice per year. The Virgos came up really well (they are powder coated) and are safely chained up in storage in my dry but well ventilated motorbike shed.

I'm really happy with this chapter of the RB saga. The Pholus wheels were only £30, plus another £30 for primer, paint and putty and £180 for the tyres - so £240 total. A bargain I think for a set of smart winter wheels that will be safer in the poor weather and will double the life of my Virgo wheels and summer tyres.

I think the Pholus wheels really suit the RB, a bit bling but entirely in keeping with the saloon car image. Which do I prefer, the Pholus or Virgo wheels? That is a difficult question, they I think they both look really good on the RB, but fortunately I don't have to choose because they have summer and winter boots, so I'll use both sets every year.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 25th, 2020 at 15:51. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: