Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 19:14   #2080
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you for that vote of confidence Dave; I'm over the moon with the Pholus wheels, they did indeed come up better than I had expected. I also enjoyed the work and have learned a few small skills.

You may well be right about 'option e', I sort of agree the Pholus wheels would look very smart in the summer, and perhaps the powder coated, anthracite coloured Virgos would look better in the winter. I'm going to have a season of each and may well have them swapped over this time next year. Having developed a good relationship with F1 Autocentre here in Corby I suspect they might swap the tyres they supplied over for the price of a drink or two.

As you may have guessed, I am absolutely delighted with this chapter of the RB saga. I'm very grateful to Luke for the wheels and to yourself for the advice Dave.

I had a feeling you'd like them more once they were on with tyres Alan, they grew on me from when i first saw them. For me that was on a 940 in a photo (here, ebay - somewhere!) but the ones i really like for my 760 are the Aries wheel. I think they'd look too "fussy" on a 240 and i think the Pholus look a little plain on the 7/9xx cars but look absolutely spot on on the RB.

It's all about aesthetic balance for me, sometimes that can be matching a plain sort of body with a plain but nice wheel, more often than not for my taste it's a contrast, a plain but nice body with a "fussy" wheel, the razor-edge styling of the 240 matched to something a bit curvy (Pholus) or something similarly razor-edged like the Virgos - you get the general idea.

As for the advice, you're very welcome and glad it helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That vinyl roof really has taken my fancy Dave, maybe in black - I think it was John that suggested it some time ago and it had slipped my mind to follow it up. A good job for the spring I think.

Alan
I have a feeling both John and I suggested a vinyl roof, i'm fairly sure i suggested a black vinyl roof and from memory (which might be wrong) i think John suggested the same. I expect he'll be along soon to tell us we've both lost our marbles and he suggested nothing of the sort!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: