Thread: S40 (New) General : - £330 to change pads on a 1.6!
View Single Post
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 21:12   #1
Justin85

Default £330 to change pads on a 1.6!

Spoke to the local Volvo dealer today and enquired about having the pads (front and rear) changed as they are down to 1-2mm. I was surprised that the car doesn't have a brake pad warning light, but that's another issue. The car is an '06 1.6 (so the weediest brakes Volvo make (i.e Focus 1.6 setup). Was amazed that Volvo wanted over £330 to change four sets of pads! Ford dealer quoted £140 for the equivalent operation on an '06 Focus.

Incidently, the car has also just gone through a 25'000 mile service (where they failed to advise me that the pads were down to 1-2mm) at a cost of just under £300.00 for what amounts to little more than an oil change. This is some £39 more than the 20000 mile service that I have just paid Porsche Reading for on a 2006 Carrera 2S!

And I thought that after Porsche dealers they couldn't get any worse! I will strongly consider taking both our Volvo's to an independant from now on. I understand that as long as they use OE Volvo parts the warranty will still stand.

I really thought that after experiencing the horrors of Porsche dealers for a few years things couldn't get any worse. I really like the S40 and V50 we have bought, and they have been good cars both but the service costs are not acceptable for what are little more than runabouts. Why should they be so much more than the Ford's they are based on? The discrepancy between what is percieved as common (Ford) and "premium!?!" (Volvo) seems to be far larger than between Skoda, VW and Audi, who all seem to charge reasonably similar prices.

Needless to say I will seriously reconsider replacing the S40 with another.

Rant over.

Justin.
Justin85 is offline   Reply With Quote